Read/Write/Run

Hi! My name is Ken. I'm going to periodically write about running, writing, and a number of other topics. Please feel free to read my posts and provide your comments. If you have a question about any topic, leave a message and I'll try to help you get the information you're looking for. Thanks for stopping by. I hope to see you again soon.



Thursday, December 28, 2017

The 2017-2018 UCONN Men's Basketball Team

After a disappointing season last year, filled with injuries, I was hopeful this year's team would fair better. My wife and I again purchased season tickets at the Gampel Pavilion this year and have only missed one game. With disappointing play and recent losses to the three "A's", Arkansas, Arizona, and Auburn,  the turnout at home games has been well below average. I'm not normally a glass half empty kind of guy, but I don't think it's going to get much better this year.

At present, the team's record stands at 7-5, with the AAC regular season play starting this weekend against Wichita State at the XL Center. Wichita State is presently 10-2 and ranked among the top 25 teams in the country by the Associated Press. Heck, even the University of Central Florida, a team that UCONN had it's way with in the past, has a better record.

UCONN has 19 games left to play prior to the AAC tournament. A quick scan of their opponents reveals that of these 19 games, 13 of the games are with Wichita State, Cincinnati,Temple, Memphis and Tulsa (2 apiece), and Villanova, SMU, and Houston (1 apiece). I would be surprised if they are able to win more than 2 of these games. So let me do the math for you. 7+2+6= 15 wins, and a final regular season record of 15-16, which probably doesn't get them into any tournaments after the AAC.
I 'm hearing grumblings about Kevin Ollie and his failure to lead this team to some success on his own accord. If this pattern continues and UCONN again fails to make the NCAA or NIT tournament this year, I think his job is in jeopardy. 

Let's hope that I'm totally wrong with my predictions and the UCONN men find a way to turn things around. Beating Wichita State would be a great start, but there's no way they can win if they continue to play terribly in the first 20 minutes and fall asleep in the last 10 minutes.

Ken


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated!