Read/Write/Run

Hi! My name is Ken. I'm going to periodically write about running, writing, and a number of other topics. Please feel free to read my posts and provide your comments. If you have a question about any topic, leave a message and I'll try to help you get the information you're looking for. Thanks for stopping by. I hope to see you again soon.



Monday, December 25, 2017

Thanksgiving Day in Manchester

If you read back to a post I wrote last year, you will see that I pledged to try and get a seeding card for this year's race. Well, I only ran one race leading up to the Manchester Thanksgiving Day Race. As it turns out, my time in the Prostate Zero 5k was fast enough for me to get an under 42 seeding card. However, I didn't know if I could actually get my card though because I waited too long to register for the race, less than 2 weeks from it and they had shut down the online registering system. 

Every year there is a race the Saturday before Thanksgiving called "Know Your Race Pace", which I have run before. I remembered that if you run a qualifying time in that race, you could get a seeding card. So early Saturday morning on November 18th, I headed over to Main Street in Manchester to run the race. When I got to Bennett Junior High, the registration location, I bumped into several of my Amigo running friends. I could have just registered for the Thanksgiving Day race and went home, but I decided to run since I was already there ready to run. I guessed that my time would be 41 minutes and I finished in 41 minutes and 50 seconds. Not too bad of a guess. I was able to get my seeding card and register for the Thanksgiving race after that race.

Even though I was able to get ahead of many of the runners with the seeding card access, I again waited too long to get lined up and still ended up with quite a few people to run by. That was okay though and I posted a time of 41 minutes and 12 seconds, guaranteeing me a seeding card for next year's race. Now the next lower seeding card is under 38 minutes, which I believe I can achieve if I can stay motivated and healthy over the upcoming year. That's one of my goals for next year.

I ran three races this year, which is 3 times as many as I ran last year. In 2018, I hope to better that mark too. Happy holidays to all.

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated!